Like my friend Whitney over at We’re Only Hsuman, I’ve been food-prepping like a madwoman this past week, trying to get everything in order for when baby #2 arrives. In addition to making some frozen meals for the whole family, I’ve also wanted to have some healthy snacks on-hand that Chase will like for when I’m too overwhelmed to make a grocery story trip. A friend of mine sent me a variation of this recipe and I thought they’d be perfect for Chase, since they’re healthy, single-serving portions that he can eat himself.
The beauty of these (besides how easy they are to make) is that you can customize them with whatever you want. Dried fruit, chocolate, nuts, etc.–the sky’s the limit. As long as you use the oats, honey and peanut butter (or any nut butter) as a base, pretty much anything will stick. These would also be great as a snack for new moms! Hope you enjoy these quick + healthy granola bites as much as we have!
- 2/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (can also toast it in the oven for 5-7 minutes at 350 degrees, if you prefer)
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup flax seed
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl; best to use your hands to mix
- Let refrigerate for at least 10-15 minutes to make them easier to shape into balls
- Roll into bite-sized balls or press into small brownie pan if you'd prefer to make bars
- Place in Tupperware container and leave them in the fridge (they stay good for at least 7-10 days when refrigerated)
- This recipe yields approximately 20 bite-sized balls. Can easily double and freeze some.